What do I need to do to my bike?

To prepare your bike, do what you can towards the preparation guidelines on the Introduction Page and FAQ. If you need any help, simply Contact Us.

What about my racing numbers?

You'll need to have a ACU gold Helmet (with two stripes around the outside of the logo, not one thick one)
Leather gloves, leather boots, and preferably one piece leathers. Two piece are allowed, but only if they zip together securely all the way around

Make yourself three number plates, one for the front, two for either side at the rear (the colours are given on the classes page - they are capacity related).

What do I need to wear?

Who tells me what number to use?

The numbers for each meeting are controlled by the secretary, however we do try to let everybody have their own number so that you don't have to keep changing it. First of all, contact the secretary of the meeting, they will let you have a number that is unallocated.

At what age can I passenger on a sidecar or Trike?


Can I use a Supercharger/Turbo?

The only forced induction allowed is supercharging. No turbo charging.

Can I use nitrous?

No, pressurised gas isn't allowed, and besides if your nitrous cut in half way round a corner, you'd have little chance of exiting the right way up!

What fuel can I use?

ACU rules now say that all petrol bikes must use unleaded petrol from the pump.
The exceptions are:
Pre 1975 bikes can use leaded petrol.
Methanol is allowed, but an orange sticker should be affixed to the tank of the bike.

Any tyres that are in good condition are acceptable. Slicks are permitted, but remember that tyre warmers are not allowed. As you are only on the track for a minute or less, the stickiest tyres you can get are the order of the day. Wets are used, and often in the dry, but a lot of people (myself among them) find they squirm a lot and walk. Agility is the keyword with hill climbs, acceleration, stopping and the ability to change direction quickly whilst trying to hold the bike on a bumpy track! To this end you may find that smaller width tyres actually give you better results. Initially though, I'd just use what you have and get on the hills, talk to others with the same style of machine and see what suits you best.

So I want to get a full ACU licence, how do I do that? 

Write to the ACU (address or downloadable application forms are online at acu.org.uk) You will need a Sprint and Hill Climb licence.

At What age can I start?

Well you can start at Thirteen in the 125 class and then the other classes at Sixteen - However - If you are under eighteen you must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The law are that none of the marshals or other event official, including the first aid/ambulance staff, who have not been specially cleared, can touch a person under eighteen unless either their parents or a legal guardian is present. This means of course that we cannot allow them to race unless either their parents or a legal guardian is present. Sorry folks, but that's the way it is.

What tyres are best and what type can I use? 

Do I need a tyre warmer?

Tyre warmers are not allowed, so if you have got one, leave it at home!

All bikes are eligible and race in the Competition/Open class - capacity divided. Alongside this are the Vintage & Classic, Forgotten Era, Junior, Ladies and Road Legal championships which have their own specific rules - so you can race whatever you want under 1300cc.

What class can I race in?

Still need help? Go to our contact page and send us an email.